The Extensive List of Angelina Jolie Tattoos
It is fair to say that the display of Angelina Jolie tattoos caused an immediate explosion in popularity of tattoos for females.
According to People Magazine back in 2006, this perfect being was called the most beautiful woman in the world. Many believe that the large assortment of meaningful Angelina Jolie tattoos has just as much to do with that label as her unforgettable lips.
• One of the boldest of the Angelina Jolie tattoos is the large black cross found on her left hip that reads Quod me nutrit me destruit. Translated from Latin this means What nourishes me also destroys me. Interestingly, this cross covers one of the first Angelina Jolie tattoos, a small blue dragon that she got while she was drunk once in Amsterdam.
• In the location of the previous tattoos on Angelina’s left arm, she now wears the coordinates where she either adopted or gave birth to her children. For Maddox from Cambodia, she wears N11º 33′ 00” E104º 51′ 00” and for Zahara from Ethiopia, the tattoo displays N09º 02′ 00” E038º 45′ 00”. Next she added the coordinates for where she gave birth to her and Brad Pitt’s daughter Shiloh, in Namibia being S22º 40′ 26” E014º 31′ 40” and then finally the location in Vietnam where her son Pax Thien was born being N10º 46′ 00” E106º 41′ 40”.
• Between her shoulder blades in black Gothic lettering reads the words know your rights. This is the title song from The Clash, said to be her favorite band.
• On her left shoulder Angelina wears a Buddhist Pali incantation that is written using Khmer script which happens to be the language of Cambodia. This is another one of the most meaningful Angelina Jolie tattoos as it is there to act as a protection for her and Maddox, her Cambodian son from bad luck.
• On Angelina’s left wrist she wears a letter H. She reports that it is there for her brother, James Haven however, there has always been speculation that is signified her boyfriend at the time, Timothy Hutton.
• On the inside of her forearm on her right arm reads Determination in Arabic. Some reports suggest that it reads strength of will however, this is incorrect.
• One of the most famous of the Angelina Jolie tattoos is her Bengal tiger that she wears on her lower back. This 12” piece was done by tattooist Sompong Kanhphai in Bangkok.
• On the very lowest part of her back are two pointy black tribal tattoos.
• Underneath the mesmerizing tiger on Angelina’s lower back lies a small dragon.
• There once was a tattoo of a small window on Angelina’s lower back as well. She explained that she covered this because she once spent her time always looking through the windows, wishing she could be outside, now she is where she wants to be in her life.
• On the inside of Angelina’s left forearm is the Roman numeral for 13 because she says she doesn’t believe in superstition.
• Angelina once wore a Chinese symbol for the word death on her left shoulder. This was her very first tattoo and it is now covered with a prayer for Maddox.
• On the inside of her forearm, the next in the collection of Angelina Jolie tattoos are the words A PRAYER FOR THE WILD AT HEART, KEPT IN CAGES. This is by her favorite poet, Tennessee Williams.
• Inside of her right elbow was the symbol for courage in Japanese but she has had that removed.
• A letter M on the inside of her hand stands for Marcheline Bertrand, her mother who passed away.
• Once Angelina had a tattoo right below her navel that depicted energy waves done by Daemon Rowanchilde in 1998 at Urban Primitive Body Design. There are no known photos in circulation of this and it has said to have been removed at some point